Thursday, June 2, 2011

Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats

This is a really interesting twist on one of my favorite treats!  I saw it on one of my favorite blogs: How Sweet It Is a while ago, but I didn't have an occasion to make it for until Memorial Day!  The fabulous Jenkins' had a Memorial day BBQ in their fabulous new home and it was the perfect opportunity to try out these yum yums.  I have to say, I was a pretty big fan of them!  I didn't feel like you could really taste the "birthday cake" aspect of the rice krispie treats, but they did seem sweeter and better then typical RKTs.  Dan, however, did say he can taste it, so you try them and let me know what you think!

What you Need:
  • 3 tbs butter or margarine
  • 1 10.5 oz bag of marshmallows
  • 1/3 c. boxed yellow cake mix
  • 6 c rice krispies
  • 1/4 c sprinkles

    Start by melting the butter over low heat in a large pot (it makes it easier when you go to mix in all the krispies).


    When the butter is completely melted, add in the marshmallows and stir to coat all the mallows with butter.  Keep over low heat, stirring occasionally until completely melted.

    Add in the cake mix a little bit at a time and stir to combine before adding more.  When the mallows are completely melted and all of the cake mix is incorporated, you can turn off the heat.


    Add in the rice krispies and mix to coat all of the krispies with the marshmallow mix.


    Stir in the sprinkles (I used red and blue sprinkles in honor of Memorial Day).


    Press into a 13x9 greased casserole dish. 


    One trick I have found is to spray your hands with Pam and use your hands to spread the mix.


    Let cool completely before cutting.  Cut into desired size pieces.  I had Mike cut them while I finished getting ready and he cut them into nice big chunks!  I only had one, it was the largest one, but I only had one!


    Then they are ready to eat!


    You can share with friends or hoard all of them for yourself, either way, I won't judge!


    Everyone seemed to really enjoy them!  I'll definitely be making these little yum  yums again!


     A little teaser for you...
    Addie made tandy cakes that were AMAZING!  She has agreed to do a guest blog on them!  They will definitely become a favorite of yours!


    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment