Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce

This chicken dish ended up being really easy and really good!  I had extra mushrooms in the fridge and I wanted to try to make something a little different then Mike and I have had before.  It doesn't require many ingredients (which I always like).  This is a good week-night meal.

What you need:
  • chicken
  • 1 carton of cremini mushrooms
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 3/4 chicken stock
  • 2 tsp flour
  • 1 tbs margarine or butter
  • parsley (optional)
  • salt and pepper
The best thing to do is to pound the chicken to make it thinner.  Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 8-10 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.



The easiest thing to do is to buy the  pre-sliced mushrooms but, if you are like me and did not, it is easy to cut them into slices.

Slice the onion or make someone else do it so you don't cry (thanks Mike)


Cook the mushrooms, onions and garlic in a pan over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until the onions and mushrooms are soft.



Add in the white wine and let simmer for about 2 minutes.  Then add the chicken stock.

Sprinkle in the flour and butter.   The best way to prevent clumping of the flour is to cream the butter and flour together before adding it into the mushroom mix (I should have done this).  Allow mix to thicken, if it isn't think enough for your taste add more flour and if it is too think, add more chicken broth.

Place the cooked chicken into the mushroom mix

Allow to let the chicken mingle with the mushrooms and onions for a few more minutes.


Add some fresh parsley if desired (I like the bit of freshness it adds).


And enjoy with your favorite side!



The onions become sweet and really soft.  It is a great accompaniment to the chicken.  I liked that it was something different than our normal, plain chicken.  I really like this one, Mike wasn't as big of a fan of it.  He ate it but, I don't think it was in the top 100 things I have ever made for him :)
If you make it let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment