Friday, February 4, 2011

Not Potato, Mashed Potatoes

I am obsessed with mashed potatoes and I miss them dearly.  I'm not going to lie, I miss carbs in the worst way.  I knew I was going to be making a chicken dish for dinner and when I was thinking of what to make as a side, I thought of a mashed cauliflower dish I had made a long time ago.  One snag, Mike hates cauliflower...big problem!  But, I figured if I found a recipe that would deceive him appeal to him, he would give it a shot.  To my delight, I found a recipe that was a good starting point on the food network's website.  After a few tweaks that would direct it more to what Mike and I like, this is what I got...

What you need:
  • medium head of cauliflower
  • 1/4 tsp chicken bullion
  • 2oz mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
  • 1/3 c parmesan
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 tbs margarine (or butter)
  • salt and pepper (to taste)

Cut the cauliflower into small pieces and boil or steam until the cauliflower is extremely tender (on the mushy, over cooked side, which I normally hate).  When done, strain and dry the cauliflower the best you can.  Place the cauliflower and the rest of the ingredients into the food processor or use an immersion blender to puree all the ingredients together. 


Doesn't it kinda look like mashed potatoes?!


Serve as a perfect side dish!

The verdict:  Mike liked them (even though it is a veggie he hates)!  He said that they were not as good as mashed potatoes (obviously) but, it was a good substitute.  The texture is different, they aren't as thick as good, homemade, mashed potatoes but, when you add in enough yummy things you can over look the texture.  I would recommend this side dish to anyone who is watching their carbs.  Now if I could only find a good replacement for bread...any ideas?!

1 comment:

  1. I was pleasantly surprised by these fauxtatoes. Regular mashed potatoes are much thicker, but in all honesty, you don't miss much by substituting the cauliflower. Definitely recommend giving them a try if you're concerned about your carb intake.

    ReplyDelete