Monday, March 7, 2011

Easy Extra Cheesy Enchiladas

Mike and I love Mexican food!  We make tacos and taco salads all the time but, we have always wanted to try making enchiladas.  For some reason I have had a semi fear of making them.  I don't know what my hang up was but, I am really glad that I powered through and tried making them.  They are DELICIOUS!  Definitely worth the little extra time and effort.  I did take the easy way out for my first time trying to make them.  I bought the store bought sauce and used taco seasoning.  I'll try something harder next time. 

What you need:
  •  1-1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
  • taco seasoning back (I use the reduced sodium)
  • 2 tsp garlic
  • enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese
  • 1 pack of tortilla shells (8 inch in diameter)
    Sour Cream (for some reason they don't want to give sc his own bullet...)
  • salt and pepper
     

These are the tortillas that I found to be the healthiest.  If you are being conscious of what you are eating, be sure to check the nutrition facts on the tortilla shells, they are not all created equally.  It is very surprising the range of calories/fat between the different brands and the different types.  The whole wheat tortillas were delicious and didn't taste any different to me compared to flour tortillas.


Cut the chicken breast into smaller "chunks" and season with salt and pepper.  Into a large pot put about 2-3 inches of water, enough to cover the chicken when you add it (sorry I don't have exact number of cups, I always eyeball it).  To the water add 1/2 of the taco seasoning pack and the garlic.  Bring the cooking liquid up to a simmer, add chicken and put a lid on the pot.  Cook for about 20 minutes at a simmer until chicken is done.



When the chicken is done (no pink), shred using two forks.


In a stock pot (I just used the same on I poached the chicken in...I HATE doing dishes) combine the shredded chicken, the other half of the taco seasoning packet, 1/2 of the enchilada sauce and 1 cup of cheese.


I didn't think of this till now but, adding a bit of hot sauce at this point would add a great little kick to these puppies.  Guess I'm going to have to make these again...in the name of science, of course...


Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. 


Lay the tortilla shell on to a flat surface and add the chicken mixture, in a strait line, slightly off to one side.
(doesn't the chicken look so ooy, gooy and yummy!)


Tuck the tortilla around the chicken and roll the rest of the way.



Put the rolls seem side down in the baking dish.  Repeat the rolling process with the rest of the shells.


Wedge the rolls in so they fit snuggly in the dish. 


Top with the remaining enchilada sauce


and cover with the rest of the cheese (the more the better!)


Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted


These little suckers are heavy!  I tried a different spatula and it doubled over!  Make sure you have a nice sturdy one!


I like it topped with sour cream.  Actually, I am lying to you right now, I'm addicted to sour cream and I added a lot more than this after the enchilada's photo shoot!


You can see all the cheesy goodness not only on top but, oozing out of the inside as well!


This is a great dinner!  Mike and I loved it!  I think Mike is anxiously awaiting the next time we make these!  I do want to try different flavors and try making my own sauce for them so, if you start seeing multiple posts for enchiladas, I'm sorry!  But, I am sure the Mike's belly will be happy (and my waistline will not)!


2 comments: