Monday, July 30, 2012

Peas Give Me More Crab Quinoa

I know, it is a corny title...

Quinoa is my new obsession!  It is a highly-digestible, gluten-free grain and it is delicious!  I have spent a lot of time thinking (when I am supposed to do other things) of new recipes to make with quinoa.  Fortunately, I had a lot of time while I waited for the doctor to start a TEE.  Here is the first one I came up with!

What you need:
  • 2 c. vegetable broth
  • 1 c. quinoa
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
  • 2 tbs. lemon juice
  • 1 cloves garlic
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • cayenne pepper
  • 1 c. frozen peas
  • 1 can of crab or fresh lump crab
  • 2 tbs. dill


Combine the veggie broth and the quinoa in a medium size sauce pan and bring to a boil. 



DON'T LET IT BOIL OVER!!  It makes a MESS!  Trust me...
Once you have it at a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.


Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and a couple dashes of cayenne pepper (depending on your spice preference).


I used my magic bullet to whip everything together, but an immersion blender or food processor would work well, too!  Blend until completely combined.


When the quinoa is done, fluff with a fork.


Add the peas, stir to combine and put the cover back on for another 3-5 minutes.


When the peas are warmed through, add in the dill and crab.  Stir to combine.


Finally add the dressing and give it one last good stir!


Plate and enjoy!


You can either have it as a side dish or an entree, hot or cold, inside or outside...
you get the idea!


I really enjoyed this dish!  It is light and fresh; perfect for a summertime dish!  I ate it warm the first day and then cold the next day for lunch.  Honestly, I can't tell you which one I enjoyed more! 

Enjoy!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment