Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Harvest Chicken Salad

Every week (either Sunday or Monday) Mike and I do our grocery shopping for the week.  Almost every week Mike and I buy the family pack of chicken which has about 10 chicken breasts in it.  We plan one or two meals with it and then use the rest for lunches (typically lunch for me).  Well that is a lot of freaking chicken to figure out what to do with almost every week!  I enjoy grilled chicken with veggies but, sometimes I need a little more!  Today's lunch was invented with the help of one of my co-workers.  I have recently become obsessed with salads with fruit in them and I remembered my co-worker Janice's chicken salad that had grapes in it and decided to give that a whirl for today's lunch!  Something different to change up the same old dull routine.  I also add pistachios because they add a really nice crunch and I am OBSESSED with pistachios!  I love the salty, crunchy, buttery taste of them...I'm drooling right now just thinking of those green little wonders...

Harvest Chicken Salad

What you need:
  • small chicken breast
  • 10 grapes
  • 10 pistachios
  • roughly a 1 1/2 tbs of light mayo
  • salt
  • pepper
I cook the chicken by poaching the it in chicken broth, garlic, and other spices like thyme and parsley but, you can just grill it or bake it.  I poach the chicken for about 40 minutes or until cooked all the way through.  Then let it cool and cube it.


Salt and pepper the chicken to your liking and add the mayo.  I only used enough mayo to moisten the chicken.


Cut the grapes in half and de-shell the pistachios and then throw them all into the party and give a gentle stir.


I eat it over a bed of greens but, it would also be delicious on a sandwich or with crackers. 


*note:  if you plan on taking it for work I would wait to add  the pistachios to the mix until you are ready to eat because they will get soft and you will lose that delicious crunch they add.  Also, if you aren't a fan of grapes another alternitive could be apples or craisions.  You can also switch out my beloved pistachios for your nut of choice but, don't recommend that :)

1 comment:

  1. Delicious!! I will never bake chicken for chicken salad again. Poaching made it so moist! Also, the pistachios and grapes are great additions!

    ReplyDelete