Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sweet Potato and Turkey Hash

Mike and I took a trip to BJ's last weekend and in all the excitment I bought a 3 pound bag of sweet potatoes.  What am I supposed to do with 3 pounds of sweet potatoes?!  Well, my impulse buy sent me on a mission to find new recipes for sweet potatoes.  I found this very interesting recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray but, didn't like all the components so I did my own thing.  It is a breakfast dish that contains onions, turkey sausage, sweet potatoes, spices and is topped with eggs.  It ended up being pretty tasty!  Mike was a big fan and even went back for seconds!  That is a big compliment because even though I have one of the sweetest guys on earth, when it comes to his stomach, he doesn't mess around.  It was a nice change from our usual cheesy eggs with some type of breakfast meat.  Next time I am going to try to cut the potatoes differently.  This time I shredded the potatoes, next time I am going to try to cube them.  The key though is that I want to make them this again!

What you need:
  • Turkey sausage (either bulk or I used links)
  • 2 small to medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • eggs
  • optional toppings:  cheddar cheese, sour cream, sriracha

First is the grunt work. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes and the onion into quarters so that they will fit into the food processor.  If you don't have a food processor just dice both.


Heat about two tbs of oil on medium heat in a frying pan.  While it heats cut the sausage links into bite size pieces. 

Add the sausage to the heated pan to brown.


Once they brown add in the sweet potato and onion mixture.


Then immediately add in all the spices and salt and pepper to taste.  Let the mixture heat through until the potatoes get soft, about 5-10 minutes.  When the potatoes are just about done, start the pan for the eggs.  Heat the pan on medium, spray with non-stick spray and cook the eggs over-easy.  When the eggs first go into the pan I like to add salt and pepper.



When the eggs are done, scoop the hash mix into a bowl and place the fried eggs on top.


At this point you can add whatever condiments you might like.  Mike added sriracha, sour cream and cheddar cheese.



 I just added sour cream and sriracha.  Another option would be to add salsa or pico. 

Mine just looked like a giant mess but, it tasted delicious!  I cut the egg into smaller pieces on top of the hash so the yolk goes throughout and the whites are in every bite.  It messes with all of your senses.  You get the sweet, spicy, smokey and yolky flavors in each fork full!

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend this recipe - as Colie said, it definitely messes with all of your tastebuds because there is sweetness from the potatoes, saltiness, savory coming from the sausage, and good zing from the sriracha and the spices you add. It really is a great departure from the typical eggs/pancakes/etc breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing!!! Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete