Thursday, May 5, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Feta

I honestly don't know how I stumbled across this recipe.  I do have a strange habit of when I am bored, going through recipes on foodnetwork.com or I go on with the intentions of looking up a certain recipe and I get distracted by something else and completely forget why I went to the site in the first place!  Very special...

I am a HUGE fan of our typical meatloaf, but when I saw this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis, I knew I wanted to try it!  My biggest obstacle was getting Mike on board.  He isn't a fan of feta typically and I have never seen him eat a sun dried tomato before, but he said he would give it a whirl if I wanted it.  I'm glad that he approved (he is glad too) because this meatloaf was so yummy!  It was surprisingly really moist too!  If you are looking for a good turkey meatloaf recipe I would recommend this one!

What you Need:
  • 20 oz (1.3 lbs) ground turkey (I used 93/7, a little fat is good)
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 3 cloves garlic (more or less depending on your taste)
  • 1/2 c feta
  • 1/3 c sun dried tomatoes
  • 1/3 c parsley
  • 1/2 c bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbs 1/2 and 1/2 or heavy cream
  • salt and pepper



Dice the onion and garlic really fine.  Try not to cut your finger like I did!  I swear I was acting like it was the first time in the kitchen last night!

In a mixing bowl, add the turkey, parsley and tomatoes.  You don't have to make it look like an awesome Italian flag like I did!


Add in the breadcrumbs...


the feta...
* a note about the feta...next time I make this recipe I want to add 3/4 c.  I felt like it could use a bit more.  Do what makes you happy!


 two eggs...sans shells...


2 tbs of 1/2 and 1/2 (or eye ball it)


This was a last minute decision.  I gave a couple good shakes of red pepper flakes.  I think it added a really nice kick to the meat loaf!


Mix well, but do not over mix or the meat will get tough.  I had to get Mike to mix it because of my boo boo thumb :(


You can see all the beautiful bits coming through!  SO EXCITED!


Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Put meat mixture in the greased pan and pat to flatten.


Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.


Flip the meatloaf out on to a cutting board and cut in to desired size slices.  I cut them more generous for Mikey Bear...he is a growing boy!


You can see all the different elements coming through.  It is fun that not every bite is the same.


I served it with a side of creamy pasta.  Other good options would be creamed spinach, mashed potatoes or green bean casserole!  Anything you typically like with meatloaf!  I just wanted something that was "wet" since there was no sauce on the loaf.


I hope that you like this as much as we did!  It turned a doubter (Mike) in to a believer!  I have never had a turkey meatloaf turn out so moist.  The only changed I would make next would be to add more feta and spinach.  I originally thought to add spinach, but being a blond, I forgot to buy it...


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment