Sunday, April 17, 2011

Baked Crab Cups

My awesome co-worker Carmen decided to have a gathering at his house on Friday.  When I found out, I started to think of desserts to bring, my mind instantly goes to SWEETS!  But, Carmen requested I bring an appetizer.  I couldn't let him down, so I started to look for app recipes.  I found this recipe on My Baking Addiction and I had seen it before on Kraft Foods.  Since it is Friday during lent, I thought seafood would be the way to go!  They were really easy to make and were pretty good.  I wouldn't say it is my favorite appetizer in the world, but it might be the prettiest!

What you Need:
  • 24 wonton wrappers
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 2 green onions
  • 4 tbs light mayo
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp Sriracha (depending on heat preference)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 - 6oz cans of crab meat

In a mixer add the cream cheese, green onion...


Sriracha, salt and pepper...


And mix until all combined.


Add in the crab.  I prefer to mix by hand, you don't want to massacre the crab meat.


 Your mix is ready to go!  Now we have to get the wonton wrappers ready.  If your wonton wrappers are frozen (that is how I found mine), defrost in the fridge over night or on the counter 40 minutes before you want to use them.  When working with the wonton, keep a damp paper towel over the pack when you aren't using them.  They are like phyllo dough or fresh pasta, they dry out fast!

Using a mini muffin tin, place one wonton wrapper in each muffin tin.  Try to make it look like a flower (as best as you can).


The most important thing is to make sure their is a little pocket to put the crab filling into.  Spray the top of the wontons with Pam.


Fill each "flower" with 1 teaspoon of filling.



Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until edges are browned.


The tops are nice and crispy, but the interesting thing is that the bottoms stay soft.  I couldn't figure out if I was a fan of that or not.  But, I also couldn't stop eating them.


But they are super cute!


Our curteous host liked them!  I think that is one of the most important thing!


You could put whatever you would like in these little cups.  Buffalo chicken, spinach artichoke ...anything!  I am definitely going to try different flavors with this technique.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment