Thursday, April 28, 2011

Salt and Vinegar Chip Crusted Cod

This takes fish and chips to the next level of AWESOME!  I saw this on How Sweet It Is a few weeks ago and my jaw dropped!  What a genius idea!?  When I showed Mike, he was as equally as excited.  Due to a busy schedule, I wasn't able to come home and make it right away; I had to suffer for weeks before Mike and I had a chance to try out this recipe.  I liked how it turned out, Mike was a little disappointed!  Unfortunately, the vinegar taste was lost after they baked, but I just sprinkled some vinegar on the fish after (malt vinegar would be best).  I served it with a makeshift tartar sauce and Mike thought it helped.

What you Need:
  • 1 lbs Cod
  • 1 c flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c crushed Chips (we used the salt and vinegar)

Start by crushing the potato chips.  You can use multiple different techniques to get the job done.  You can put the chips into a zip-lock bag and use a rolling pin, crush by hand or (what I did) put the chips in a bowl and smash with the same size bowl on top.  You want it to be coarsely ground.


Whisk the two eggs in a separate bowl.


Place the flour in to another bowl and your dredging station is ready!


Cut your fish into manageable sections.  The Cod Mike brought home was in two large piece.  I cut them into sections that would fit in to the bowls I was using.


Coat the fish in the flour, making sure it is completely covered.


Then give it a bath in the eggs.


And finally coat the egg soaked fish in chip crumbs.


Spray a grill grate liberally with non-stick cooking spray.  Place on top of a cookie sheet (to catch any drippings) and put into a preheated 420 degree oven for 18 minutes.  Keep an eye on it.  It started to smell like something was burning quickly into the cooking process, but everything was okay (and not burnt). 


They come out nice and golden brown!  If the fish flakes easily, it is done.


To make my "tartar" sauce.  Mix 3 tbs of light mayo, 2 tsp relish, 4 good dashes of Worcestershire and cracked black pepper.  Stir to combine and you are good to go!


I just served it with a small salad.  I loved its crunch.  I thought it was a great and it was a super simple supper!  If you do make this, don't be scared to use regular chips, the vinegar really didn't add much.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment