Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fluffer-Nutter Cupcakes

I don't know where my recent fascination with cupcakes came from.  I have loved the show "Cupcake Wars" for awhile, but I haven't made cupcakes since my sister-in-law's blog party...that was 10 months ago!  Now I have made cupcakes twice in two weeks!  I have really enjoyed making them though!  They are cute and fun to experiment with.  This cupcake I saw on a blog I read called Eat, Live, Run then Mike saw it and requested them as well.  I followed her recipe almost exactly but I (taking the lazy way out) used box cake and I adjusted the icing a bit.  I feel like it is one way to cut down on the prepping time and that fat little dough boy does a decent job.

These are vanilla cupcakes, filled with fluff and topped with peanut butter frosting...HELLO GORGEOUS!

 What you need:
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • the eggs, oil and water as directed on the cake box
  • 1 stick (8tbs) butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 c peanut butter (creamy)
  • 2 c powder sugar
  • 1/3 c heavy cream
Don't pay attention to the marshmallows...that was a failure...


Prepare the cake batter according to the back of the box.  Water, oil and eggs...




Mix until completely mixed but, don't over mix or you'll have tough cuppy cakes.  Pour into your choice of mini or regular size muffin tins lined with cupcake liner.


Bake according to package turning once during the cooking time.  Cool completely.


To get the fluff into the cupcake, make a hole using a small cylinder.  I have heard of people using apple corers.  I used one of my icing tips!


Pull out the inside and use your finger to smash down some of the cake to make a nice well.  Do whatever you would like with the cake shrapnel...I used it to feed the birds.


Using a piping bag or a plastic baggie with the tip cut off, fill with fluff.  Fill the hole you created with the fluff.


It is okay if it overflows a bit, you can cover it up with the icing.  Plus, there is nothing wrong with a little extra fluff!


Now, it is time for the icing!  Start by creaming butter, vanilla and the peanut butter until smooth.



Add the powder sugar with the mixer on low (you don't want to cover your kitchen in white powder...the neighbors might start talking)


Add the cream and start the mixer out slowly and increase to a medium high speed for about 4 minutes.


The frosting is light and fluff and completely divine!


Put the frosting into a pastry bag or baggie and pipe on top of the fluffed cupcakes.


When you bite in you get a great bit of hidden fluff!


They are so good and they make you feel like a kid again.  You are back in the elementry school cafeteria, but this time, you have the good lunch!


I took them down to the Phillies opener and they were a big hit!  These two goofballs liked them!


I recommend you try making these!  If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment